Tuesday 28 May 2013

Iblis' Idle Hands



Over the weekend I called Trevor Kavanagh, political propagandist in the pay of Murdoch at the Sun, a cunt. Gladly too.

I did this, like all good social heroes, hiding behind the anonymity of Twitter.

I did this because of his comments regarding radicalism and welfare, drawing a tenuous and fictitious link between living on benefits and Muslim extremism. Kavanagh commented on BBC Any Questions – to a dearth of disapproval – facilitated laziness that directly led to radicalism as people spent their days on laptops (who has the money for a laptop? Not me!) Reading extremist websites. This is religious ideology as ugly as anything found in the Koran: the devil makes work for idle hands. Not my hands; my hands are free from the influence of a puritanical superstition.

Could it be that people on the fringes of society, as those on benefits are (particularly Muslim claimants I would think), are more likely to be radicalised. This isn’t because they get money from the state, it’s because the ruling elite marginalises the poor and the needy. If you’re a Muslim, if you have the wrong skin colour and the wrong religion, then it’s worse!

So instead of building a more inclusive integrated and socially progressive community we give air time to racists and bigots to spout pseudo religious claptrap scoring a double top against Muslims and benefits. This is a disgrace. No one spoke out. No one said ‘that’s wrong’. Who will stand up for what’s right? How many members of the EDL are unemployed?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...