Friday 16 September 2011

The Report

Last night there was a broadcast on radio 4's The Report (a show I've never before heard) about the Work Programme. You can find it on the iplayer; it was broadcast at 8pm.
I'm not going to discuss the programme in depth, suffice to say that one of the talking heads was my favourite Pauline-a-like, Hayley Taylor. I have zero respect for this awful human being and here laughable brassy northern brand of pop psychology. Interestingly though it transpires that she resigned from her job as arch single parent botherer at A4E, claiming that "I couldn't do this anymore". Apparently she realised how flawed their programme was.
What's interesting is that she felt it acceptable to quit her job (presumably because she had the money to do so and TV supsterstardom beckoned) yet can't accord that same freedom to others. For a month out she hectored and pilloried people on Fairy Jobmother, promoting tired cliches and values steeped in irrelevance and nostalgia, now here she is giving up.
Had that been someone in my position, or someone on the Work Programme, or trying to reclaim their JSA, they'd reap merry hell for that attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...